The Giant Motor Ships

W

ith the construction of the sister ships Saturnia and Vulcania at the Monfalcone shipyard between 1925 and 1928, Cosulich Line revolutionised the large ocean liner by equipping it with a diesel engine. The tall, slender funnels, essential for the steam propulsion of earlier ships, were replaced by a single, wide, and low funnel positioned in the centre.
In early 1926, the Trieste-based shipping company launched a competition to design a promotional poster that would reflect the innovations introduced by these motor ships. The first prize was awarded to A. Dondoli (bottom left), about whom little biographical information is available. His design was not particularly avant-garde, especially when compared to those of Sergio Santambrogio (centre) and August Černigoj, whose sketch is reproduced here, preserved in the Museum of the Sea in Trieste.
Dondoli's design was used in various versions, sometimes replacing the Native American figure in the foreground with the new Cosulich Line logo, created by Argio Orell. Meanwhile, Guido Marussig was responsible for the beautiful promotional booklet for the two revolutionary motor ships, printed in 1927 to mark the entry into service of the Saturnia.